Working with Couples in Crisis - High Conflict Couples
Date: Friday 27th November 2020
PD Points: 6
This is a live training event delivered via Zoom
High conflict couples often come to therapy as a last resort – sometimes with the intention of keeping a family or finances intact. Sometimes in the hope the therapist will steer them towards separation.
Either way, it can be stressful and energy-sapping for a therapist working with this presentation.
This one-day course will give Therapists and Couples Counsellors new ways of managing couples in crisis, with an emphasis on working with high conflict and separation processes.
Jacqueline McDiarmid will draw on 23 years of clinical practice to step you through managing conflict in the room and outside it, breaking through intractable patterns of behaviour, and moving couples towards a more constructive dynamic.
Participants will walk away with greater confidence, and techniques they can use immediately in their work.
Theory will be covered from the Milan and the Solution Focused frameworks as well as Gottman ideas.
Training will be by case presentation, participant discussion and skills presentation. There will be space for participants to ask Jacqueline questions throughout the day.
This training seminar is suited to middle/senior level experienced Couples Counsellors who work privately or in an agency. Students are also welcome.
- You will learn how to manage a first and second session when a couple presents in a high-conflict, volatile way.
- You will learn how to manage a first and second session when a couple presents with low energy for the work.
- You will learn a step-by-step process, implementing practical strategies to immediately see improvement/results with the couple.
- You will gain an understanding of what you can do with couples who continue with high conflict.
- You will learn some practical strategies you can immediately implement with disconnected couples.
- You will gain an understanding of how to assess whether separation should be put on the table.
- You will learn how to present separation ideas without feeling as if you are responsible for separation outcomes.
- You will gain a basic understanding of legal considerations when it comes to separation.
- You will learn a step-by-step process to help the couple separate well, particularly if there are children involved.
- You will gain the skills and confidence to manage this very demanding work.